Toilet water use calculator
Fill in the form below to:
1. Calculate how much water your toilet flushes every year.
2. Find out what the associated costs are.
Instructions and additional details can be found at the bottom of the page.
A toilet is an important source of water use in your household, accounting for approximately 30% of all indoor water use. Updating a toilet to a more efficient model that is WaterSense certified is a great way of saving water. Saving water reduces your bill and the impact on the environment.
- When you consider updating a toilet first you need to find out what the flushing specifications of the new toilet are. It is a single-flush or dual-flush toilet? What is the volume of the single-flush, or the volume of the full and reduced flush in case of a dual-flush toilet?
- If you have a single flush toilet that is not older than 1994, changes are it uses 1.6 gallons per flush. An older toilet uses a lot more water, often between 3.5 and 6 gallons per flush.
- On average people flush their toilet 5 or 6 times a day
- High-efficiency toilets use 1.28 gallons per flush or even less
In the annual savings sections you find an estimation on how much your household will save in both water usage and water costs annually.
In this form USD and US gallons are used, but they can be easily replaced by liters and other currencies if required.